Author Topic: Abstract  (Read 503 times)

Bertrand Mareschal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Abstract
« on: April 08, 2020, 04:26:44 PM »
GIS-based concept for multi-criteria approach in the management of the landmines and UXO clearance
Marko Mladineoa*, Niksa Jajacb*, Nenad Mladineob
a University of Split, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture, Split, Croatia
b University of Split, Faculty of Civil Engineering, Architecture and Geodesy, Split, Croatia
* Corresponding authors: mmladine@fesb.hr; njajac@gradst.hr
Abstract
Today, the landmines and unexploded ordnance (UXO) still represent a daily threat in some parts of Afghanistan, Angola, Bosnia, Cambodia, Croatia, Iraq, Mozambique, Nicaragua, Somalia, and other countries. Sometimes, these devastating post-war effects are terrible as a war itself. The agriculture, infrastructure, industry and even a tourism are suffering due to threat of landmines and UXO. Mine action programs represent efforts to raise mine awareness, i.e. to educate population in mine affected areas, to have effective mine survey and prioritization of the areas for clearance programs, and to successfully manage the mine clearance programs. These processes include many different stakeholders from government representatives, local authorities, military personnel, international organizations, and private companies for mine clearance. Therefore, it is mandatory to have a transparent procedure and clear process of reduction of mine affected areas, their prioritization, and approval of the mine clearance programs. The aim of this research was to apply multi-criteria analysis and decision-making, based on the PROMETHEE method, in selection of priorities for mine clearance in some geographical area. However, the first step is to design the concept based on the Geographic Information System (GIS) to create spatial homogenous zones which represent mine affected areas, and which will become alternatives, i.e. actions for evaluation and ranking with the PROMETHEE method.
Keywords
Multi-Criteria Decision-Making; PROMETHEE method; Geographic Information System
Bertrand